Here’s a fast and easy recipe that is sure to make you smile! My wife and I have just completed another #21daychallenge, which is essentially a slightly shortened whole30 program with the addition of daily fitness and a little bit of cheese. I love cheese. If you haven’t heard of Whole30, check out their website at http://whole30.com/ . Whole30 has you eating a lot of vegetables, lean meats and some fruit and asks you to cut out processed foods, grains, dairy, legumes, sugar and alcohol. It’s an interesting experience that I find to be rewarding. However, the food can get a little repetitive, and about halfway through the process I wanted to eat something different than chicken and avocado variations that populated the majority of our meals. This dish is bright, sweet, and tangy. It can be served as an appetizer, a snack, or even a dessert. I hope you enjoy it.
2 medium portions
- 1 blood orange
- 1 Satsuma Mandarin, Tangerine, Valencia orange or other sweet citrus
- 10 leaves of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tsp. olive oil (I used habanero/citrus flavored olive oil, which is amazing)
- 10 roasted hazelnuts, smashed
- A sprinkle of your favorite salt (I love flakey, thinly shaved and delicious sea salt; it’s ok to have a salt collection; adding a little salt gives the dish depth and complexity.)
- Cut the blood orange and the mandarin into small, bit-sized slices and place in a bowl
- Chop up the mint leaves and add to bowl
- Add the 1 tsp. of olive oil to the bowl; mix with a large spoon
- Plate the fruit mixture in a pile on the middle of a small plate
- Top each plate with the hazelnut smash and a gentle sprinkling of salt
One thought on “Quick Citrus Tartare”
Lovely! I love the name as well!!
LikeLiked by 1 person